Sunbathing and tanning salons are very popular in the Western World. In India, the craze is for milky white complexion. Dusky skin tones are looked down upon and considered unattractive. Now that summers are here, most people will scurry indoors to take refuge from the blistering heat and scorching rays of the sun. Skin tends to get tanned if it is exposed to the direct sunlight for too long in summers. The ultra-violet rays of the sun increases melanin production, which tends to tan the skin. It may take a while before your skin tone is restored to its normal state and colour. But these home remedies are deemed effective. And with constant care, maintenance and patience, skin tan can be removed naturally. Here are some ways to remove skin tan naturally:-
• Aloe vera not only lightens the skin but also nourishes it. Apply aloe vera on the parts of the skin that has got tanned just before going to bed. Rinse thoroughly next morning.
• Cucumber has a cooling effect on the skin. Cucumber juice can help eliminate sun tan too. Add a pinch of turmeric powder to one part of lemon juice and two parts of cucumber juice. Rub it on the sun tanned skin and allow it to settle in for some time. Keeping cucumber slices on sun tanned skin nourishes the skin with Vitamin C and keeps it hydrated.
• Gram flour is yet another home ingredient that can be used to treat sun tan. It not only nourishes but also exfoliates gently and induces a bright glow to the complexion. Mix gram flour with rose water to make a paste and then apply it on the affected skin area.
• Lemon juice has bleaching properties that can cure sun tanned skin effectively. Either you can scrub lemon juice on the affected area, or use a mixture of lemon juice and sugar. Sugar will exfoliate the dead skin cells while lemon lightens the skin.
• Milk is a readily available ingredient that can also be used for removing the tan from your skin naturally. All you have to do is to soak one or two strands of saffron in milk overnight. Then apply this mixture on the tanned portion. Saffron and milk together will enhance the skin glow and brighten up the complexion. Alternatively, you can also add a pinch of turmeric powder and some lemon juice to milk and dab this on the affected areas. Once it dries up, rinse with water thoroughly.
• Potato is excellent for alleviating the tan from the skin. Presence of Vitamin C in potato makes it a natural bleaching agent. Chop potato into chunks and whisk it in the blender into a paste. Apply this paste onto the affected skin area and allow it to remain for the next 30mins. Thereafter rinse and pat skin dry.
• Sandalwood is a common ingredient that is used in many beauty products. Loaded with anti-aging and skin-lightening properties, sandalwood cleanses the skin, removes skin tan and lends a glowing complexion to the skin.
• Yogurt is another ingredient that can be used to minimize skin tan. Yogurt has soothing properties that can reduce the redness and inflammation caused by sunburns. Regular application of yogurt on the affected area just before bath can reduce the tan effect. For best results, one can also add the juice of one tomato and lime to the yogurt.
Using these home remedies will lighten your skin tone and restore it to its original colour.