In the blistering heat of summer, coconut water is the best drink to have. It is refreshing, cool, delicious and packed with a plethora of essential nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It keeps the body hydrated and is a low-calorie natural beverage. Found abundantly in tropical regions, tender coconut water contains more nutrients than mature coconut water. One coconut contains about 1 to 4 cups of coconut water. Here are some health benefits of drinking coconut water:-
1. Heart tonic – Being cholesterol and fat-free, it is beneficial for reducing low-density lipoproteins and increase high-density lipoproteins. Loaded with anti-inflammatory, antiplatelet and antioxidant properties, coconut water offers excellent cardioprotective benefits and lowers the risks of heart attacks and strokes.
2. Hydrates the body – Coconut water is an excellent thirst quencher, especially in summers. Electrolyte composition in coconut water restores the lost fluids in the body. Coconut water has the same attributes as that of a sports drink. Tummy troubles caused by constipation, acid reflux, gastroenteritis and indigestion can be soothed by drinking coconut water.
3. Lowers blood pressure levels – Packed with potassium, magnesium and vitamin C, coconut water has a tendency to reduce blood pressure levels and negate the effects of sodium. It also controls hypertension. Drinking coconut water regularly can reduce high blood pressure problems.
4. Maintains pH levels – A high acidic pH level is associated with low energy, heartburn, acidity and diseases like osteoporosis, high blood pressure, immune deficiency etc. Drinking coconut water alkalizes the pH levels and helps restore it to healthy levels.
5. Natural diuretic – The antibacterial properties in coconut water help fight bladder infections. It also alkalizes the urine and can dissolve kidney stones or flush them out of the system. Additionally, drinking coconut water is beneficial for urine production and flow, preventing urinary tract infections, and flushing the harmful toxins from the body.
6. Promotes weight loss – An ideal drink for weight loss, coconut water is fortified with bioactive enzymes that boosts metabolism. It is easy on the stomach and boosts digestion.
7. Regulates blood sugar levels – Amino acids and dietary fibre help improve insulin levels and stabilizes blood sugar levels. Drinking coconut water daily can combat oxidative stress, decrease blood glucose levels, improve blood circulation and reduce numbness of feet.
8. Relieves hangovers – A great natural remedy for curing hangovers, coconut water replenishes the body with lost electrolyte and fluids and hydrates the body well.
9. Delays premature aging – Cytokinins in coconut water has special anti-aging effects that are known to delay the risks of developing degenerative and age-related diseases. Moreover, coconut water hydrates the skin and keeps it soft. Applying a paste of sandalwood and coconut water topically can promote a younger and healthier looking skin.
10. Treats headaches – Headaches caused by migraines can be cured effectively by consuming coconut water. Coconut water hydrates the body and restores it with lost electrolytes and fluids. People who are magnesium deficient also suffer from migraines, so they should drink coconut water on a regular basis.
Coconut water is universally an appealing drink. It causes no side effects and deemed safe for infants and pregnant lady as well. People with diseased condition also cherish drinking coconut water because it is healthy.