Located right below the liver to the right of the abdominal cavity is a small pear-shaped sac like organ called gallbladder. The main function of the gallbladder is to secrete bile juice. Bile juice is necessary for the digestion of fats. This bile juice contains cholesterol, which when excess hardens to form pebble-like structure called gallstones.
Women are at a high risk of gallbladder problems owing to the level of estrogen hormone in the body. Estrogen levels shoot up with pregnancy, hormonal replacement therapy, and with the use of birth pills. When estrogen levels rise, cholesterol levels in the bile increases too, leading to the formation of gallstones. When gallstones are formed, the gallbladder gets inflamed and the person may experience sharp abdominal pain, nausea, severe vomiting, constipation, tenderness in the abdomen region, bloating etc. Although surgery is often advised depending on the severity of the condition, those who are suffering from gallstones will be relieved to know that it can be treated by natural means. The main aim of this treatment is to alleviate the painful symptoms and gallstones. Some of the natural remedies are outlined below:-
• Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and have this twice daily – day and night. Malic acid present in apple cider vinegar will dissolve gallstones.
• Aromatherapy oils like those of lavender and rosemary help in easing the spasmodic pain experienced because of gallstones. Mix these oils with a carrier oil like olive oil and use it with a hot compress over the upper right abdomen to get some relief.
• Barberry is effective in treating gallstone problems. It can dissolve the gallstones and eliminate the infection causing germs and cure the problem.
• Chicory is one of the best natural remedies for removing gallstones. It promotes secretion of bile and minimizes pain caused by gallstones.
• Boil about 50mg of chopped dandelion root in 125 ml of water and drink this concoction three times a day. Dandelion root is known to eliminate gallstones and promote healthy functioning of the gallbladder.
• Draw up a diet plan to include plenty of fibre-rich fruits and vegetables. The natural enzymes in them facilitate faster digestion. Cottage cheese, nuts, beans, peas etc. should be consumed regularly too. Avoid non-vegetarian food and processed and refined food.
• Olive oil treatment is one of the natural treatments for removing gallstones. In this treatment, the person is supposed to have two tablespoons of olive oil on empty stomach followed by three tablespoons of lemon juice. Following this for at least a week will flush out the gallstones through tools.
• Drinking equal parts of vegetable juice comprising cucumber, beet and carrot, is excellent for healthy functioning of the gallbladder. It not only dissolves gallstones but also reduces the inflammation caused by it.
These natural remedies do their trick if started early. However if the size of the gallstones are large or if there is any indication of infection in the gallbladder, then your doctor is the best person to advise you.